Creativity Camp Jocelyn Short Horizontal Promo Image

July 18, 2024: How to craft compelling character designs with Jocelyn Short

July 12, 2024

We’re so excited to continue Wacom Creativity Camp 2024 with this free online character design workshop from Jocelyn Short on Thursday, July 18, 2024, at 4:30pm PDT!

Wacom Creativity Camp is a series of free, live, online workshops from brilliant artists, creators, and educators throughout the month of July 2024! If you want to learn all about character design, illustration, comics, manga, art education, and more, check out the Creativity Camp homepage for all the details and resources. And make sure to sign up for Creativity Camp to get reminders about and to register for all of the workshops!

Creativity Camp event promo
Jocelyn Short Headshot 1

Jocelyn Short is an illustrator and concept designer creating artwork for the fantasy, sci-fi, and horror genres in comics, video games, and film. She is currently developing Bearers, an art anthology exploring the experiences of unique spirit couriers. Her professional credits include creating the banner artwork for Virtuous Con for 2024, art assets for Black Feminist Video Game, and character designs for the comic The Legend of Althea by Royce Adkins. Check Jocelyn Short out on Instagram, or Facebook.

Short will be presenting Crafting Compelling Character Designs as part of Creativity Camp on July 18th, 2024, at 4:30pm PDT, live on Zoom! Click here for more info about the workshop and to register.

Creativity Camp Jocelyn Short Horizontal Promo Image

In advance of her workshop, we spoke to Short about her background, interests, inspirations, what to look forward to during her workshop, and what she’s got going on in the future.

How did you first get into digital art? Were you a creative kid? 

I first got into digital art when I was in high school; I was on several fan forum sites for fun and I would make signature banners. Digital art evolved into digital painting in college. I was definitely a creative kid. Throughout most of my school years, before I made art my college major, I was the “art kid.” Art teachers would favor me and I even ended up doing tattoo designs for people in high school!

Jocelyn Short war bearers resized to print

Do you think going to art school is a necessity, or can beginning creatives teach themselves what they need to know?  

I feel that the wealth of instruction currently available online is incredible and I’ve benefited from it myself. Folks have so much access to affordable art instruction and art communities, which makes learning art that much easier.

I think there is great value in guided instruction, but I don’t think going to art school is an absolute necessity, and I’m saying that as someone who went to art school herself. Most, if not all, brick-and-mortar/private art schools are overpriced, in my opinion, and most students end up with enormous debt that is very challenging to pay back.

The benefit of brick-and-mortar/private schools, however, is in-person critique and networking, which is excellent. But that doesn’t necessarily make the cost equivalent. You can get a great artistic educational experience through awesome online avenues that will enrich you and help get you work, should you desire it.

You currently work as a concept artist. What do you love about it? How did you decide what you wanted to pursue as a career?

I love getting to explore and flesh out really unique designs and make them feel as real as possible. I wanted to pursue it as a career because it felt like a concrete application for art. I really liked the idea that art could still be so expressive and directly functional in a production pipeline of creation throughout different mediums.

Jocelyn Short heartbreak-harvester-print2

How did you break into concept art as a career? What tips or advice do you have for students or beginners who might want to follow a similar path? 

I took a mentorship after I graduated from art school to try to hone my skills more, which helped me a lot technically and socially because that mentor remembered me and invited me into other art spaces. Conventions have also helped me immensely with making connections and getting client work and opportunities.

My suggestion to students and beginners who want to follow a similar path is not to go into debt for your education, to find education that teaches the foundations of art and entertainment design, and to learn from teachers and mentors who have direct experience in the industry.

I would also say to network across first, and network up second. Get to know your peers and the people alongside you on your journey, stay connected to them, and learn from each other. They will be an evergreen boon for your growth and morale because those are the folks who started on the come-up with you.

How did you develop your own personal art style? What are some of your biggest influences and/or inspirations?  

I feel like I developed my art style by emulating a painterly approach, matched with a very moody and dramatic aesthetic. I wanted my art to feel tactile and visceral in my own way. Big art inspirations include Alphonse Mucha, Albrecht Durer, Norman Rockwell, Craig Mullins, Ryan Lang, Nathan Fowlkes, Thomas Chamberlain-Keen, Sergey Kolesov, Eleeza, Anthony Jones, Gawki, Wylie Beck, Maika Sozo, there’s a lot more … the list is long! 

Jocelyn Short Omnia

How do you stay motivated when you’re feeling stressed or uninspired? 

 I keep online collections of really cool art that I come across, so I’ll revisit those folders and look through them to get re-inspired. Or, I’ll listen to art podcasts or podcasts that have nothing to do with art at all! Playing video games also helps to take my mind off my stress for a little bit, and then I can return back to art after I’ve calmed down.

What Wacom device(s) do you use? Why do you choose to use Wacom products? 

 I use a Cintiq 27QHD. Wacom products last a long time, and I knew that they were the industry standard, so I figured a Wacom tablet would be a good investment — and it definitely has been!

Jocelyn Short fayah-witch-final-(2)-smaller
Jocelyn Short dwarves-print-document

What will your workshop at Creativity Camp cover?

My workshop will cover my thought process through character design and painting techniques. Folks can expect to learn how to be more thoughtful when creating designs, and they can also expect to learn drawing/painting techniques that can be used with or without a drawing tablet.

Where can people go to learn more about you, your work, or to follow your journey? Do you have any projects coming up that you’d like to share or promote? 

People can visit my website, to see more of my work and follow my newsletter to get regular updates on my journey. They can also follow my socials to keep up with me there — I’m on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, and X (Twitter). One project I have coming up is a single-issue comic for my art series called Bearers that I’ve been working diligently on. It’s hopefully due for release in late 2024, or early 2025, so please keep your eyes peeled for updates on that!

Make sure to register for Jocelyn Short’s free, live online workshop on July 18th, 2024 at 4:30pm PDT here!

Learn more about Creativity Camp, access the curated resources, sign up for updates and reminders, and register for individual workshops by clicking here!

Related posts:

The Best Free Tutorials To Get Started in Photo Manipulation With Adobe Photoshop

The Best Free Tutorials To Get Started in Photo Manipulation With Adobe Photoshop

Flex your creativity – Flex your Movink! Editing photos on the go with Amyboyy

Flex your creativity – Flex your Movink! Editing photos on the go with Amyboyy

The spirit of Wacom creativity … in the woods. Wacom at Pickathon 2024

The spirit of Wacom creativity … in the woods. Wacom at Pickathon 2024

How to draw clouds, and survive the Summer: Hilarious art tips with Lucas Piaceski

How to draw clouds, and survive the Summer: Hilarious art tips with Lucas Piaceski

Connect with Wacom on social media

Go with the flow with  @sinana_grim, switching gears and moving with ease. ⁣☕☁️🎒🥤
Wacom Cintiq Pro in the office and Wacom Movink anywhere else. ⁣
#WacomMovink #CreativeProfessionals #CreativesOnTheGo
90 0
🎬 Take a look behind the creative process of Max Beyond with filmmaker @hazdazzle and VFX artist @victorperez_official!

Haz shares how the Wacom Cintiq Pro helped elevate his creative workflow, pushing the limits of visual storytelling in animation. An inspiring look at where technology meets creativity!

#MaxBeyond #CintiqPro27 #WacomCintiqPro #Animation
1337 7
Time warps when you're working, doesn't it? ⌛😜
Thanks @lplucas for the time saving tips in Clip Studio Paint 🤩
What's the longest you've worked on a single piece? Tell us in the comments.
26821 55
Are you ready for THU 2024? 👏🏻 We are, and it’s a special one! @thu_official.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of THU, and we’re celebrating a decade of creativity, innovation, and unforgettable connections. Join creative professionals from around the world for an inspiring week of connection and collaboration. 🚀

Meet our Wacom Team around the event for insider tips, networking, and creative inspiration. 🙌🏻

📅 Sept 30th - Oct 05th 2024
📌 Location: Troia, Portugal

Let’s make this anniversary one to remember!

#THU2024 #WacomEvents #WacomPartner #THU10Years
134 1
Check out this exclusive video interview 🎙️ by @3dvfcom with members of our talented team and discover the secrets 👀 behind 

#WacomMovink #CreativeProfessionals #CreativesOnTheGo
236 10
🎒 Back to School Sale✏️

Kickstart the new school year with amazing deals on the entire Wacom product range. Don’t miss out on huge savings on our bestsellers—offer ends Sept 30th 2024 🎉

Register today for Wacom’s Education program and save up to 5% additionally* on selected pen tablets and pen displays

*eligible students and teachers can buy with 5% additional discount until 30.10.2024,

*Europe only
‌
#BackToSchool #WacomSale
100 0
How the #WacomMovink helps @figisisters capture ideas wherever they happen. #CreativeProfessionals #CreativesOnTheGo #WacomWorkspace
906 12
#WacomSale 📣⁣
⁣
Head to the Wacom USA estore to save when you buy a Wacom Intuos. The perfect back to school tool for students and teachers alike! ⁣
⁣
Use Wacom Intuos to easily write, edit or convey ideas to students or colleagues when web-conferencing.⁣
⁣
Getting started in digital art? Wacom Intuos is an all-in-one creative solution with 3 downloadable software programs to kick start your journey. ⁣
⁣
Shop through the link in our bio! 🛒⁣
⁣
#Wacom #WacomIntuos #EdTech #BackToSchool #WacomTablet
115 2
Wacom’s CEO, Nobu, shared some exciting thoughts about the future of digital art and how Wacom is here to support every artist’s journey. 🚀

‌Have you joined #WacomYuify yet? It’s a groundbreaking new service designed to protect and secure your authorship while managing the digital rights of your artwork. ✍🏻

Go to the link in bio to learn more and register for free!
‌
#DigitalArtists #Wacom #DigitalArt #Yuify #MiniMic
146 3
New Interview Drop! 🚨

We grabbed our customised pen #MiniMic and interviewed Nobu, Wacom’s CEO to talk about the future of digital art 🎨✨

Get inspired by his insights on innovation, Wacom’s mission, and what’s next for artists! Stay tuned for part 2! 🚀

#WacomAtDokomi #DigitalArtists #Wacom #DigitalArt
236 4