Fish Market Eunbi Kang Feature Image

“The Fish Market:” Eunbi Kang’s digital illustration process on Wacom Cintiq 16

June 26, 2024

Eunbi Kang is a Korean-born, Los Angeles-based visual development artist, concept artist, and illustrator who primarily works in the entertainment industry in video games, animation, and more. She has a diverse and wide-ranging style that takes many forms – from anime-inspired lineart to 3D video game cuteness to Pixar-esque color blocking and cel shading – but no matter which style she’s exploring, it’s always whimsical, vibrant, and colorful. Kang creates her work on her trusty Wacom Cintiq 16 and uses Photoshop, Blender, Procreate, and more, but is always exploring and learning new techniques and methods to keep pushing her creative imagination further.

In the last video and blog post featuring Kang, she discussed how she uses photo references in her digital painting. In a another video and blog post, she explained why character design sheets are so important. In the below video, she walks you through her illustration process, including color blocking without doing lineart first, and using Blender software to work with light. There is also a transcript of her video below as well.

Hello again everyone! I am Eunbi Kang, a visual development artist and illustrator working in the entertainment industry. This is my third collaboration video with Wacom, and today I will show you how I paint with Wacom’s Cintiq 16. 

There are lots of different ways to do paintings. There is no right or wrong answer, as long as you allow your creativeness to guide you! You can start with fun scribbles, or just go straight into colors on one layer. One of my favorite methods that I want to introduce today is blocking the shape first without the line sketch.

What I like about this method is that It allows me to see the shape language clearly in the early stages of my painting. The composition of the elements, the proportion of the character, and the shapes of each object can be easily described with this method.

Since the weather is getting hotter, one thing that reminds me of summer the most is a harbor. I used to go to the fish market near a harbor a lot in South Korea in the summer. And I always loved the blue ocean, salty breeze and loud noises from sellers. A harbor has lots of interesting shapes which blend nature and man made structures together, so I wanted to paint a harbor scene for one of my characters when summer comes. 

In this process, I decide the direction of light because shadows and light also make composition in painting. This is what I like the most about this method because I can see the relationship of each object and how they respond to the direction of light at the same time.  

A harbor has lots of interesting shapes but it can be busy so I tried to make eye flow going into the main character on the right but still putting descriptive objects. So I put wooden decks, mountains and paddles directed towards her.

FishMarket1

References are super helpful for your painting. It can be photos you took, random objects that inspire you, or old master’s paintings, but sometimes I need to make my own reference to get a  clear vision. Usually what I use is Blender. After I am done with the block of shape, I quickly build very simple modelings to get better ideas and go back and forth with my painting to get a more clear composition. With this process, I recognize something that I may have not realized during my sketch process or even get better ideas.

After the modeling, I tighten the shapes more based on the blender model and check if the overall shape reads well.

FishMarket2

Now it is the most fun part, making color comp! Since I have been grouping the shapes and also settled down on the values, It became a grayscale version of my painting. So based on this grayscale comp, I decided the colors. I do not expect my colors to be exactly the same as my grayscale comp, but I’m still aiming for it to read as clearly as my sketch does. I have been zooming in and out of my screen to see if this reads clearly. If you are not sure if your composition reads well, I recommend to zoom out or look at your piece from a far distance. 

After the color comp, I simply put the color that I decided on my grayscale. I grabbed the painting bucket tool and clicked the area that I wanted to put colors in. Since I did not do line drawing, I could skip the color blocking step.

FishMarket3

I wanted to make the green colors pop out more so I decided to change the sky color into a more desaturated warm color. Since I was done with putting colors for each element, I started to blend the hard edges of the shadows to describe the form. And Here is my final piece!

FishMarket4

Thank you for watching my tutorial and thanks to Wacom for this opportunity!  

Eunbi Kang Headshot

About Eunbi Kang

Eunbi Kang is a South Korean-born visual development artist and illustrator for games, animation, and more. She recently graduated from the illustration department at the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.

While pursuing her career, she won the independent Environment category at the 2022 Concept Art Awards, and the Japanese illustration Award. She has a fascination for vibrant color palettes and fantasy themes. Follow her on Instagram.

Related posts:

Flex your creativity – Flex your Movink! Editing photos on the go with Amyboyy

Flex your creativity – Flex your Movink! Editing photos on the go with Amyboyy

How to draw clouds, and survive the Summer: Hilarious art tips with Lucas Piaceski

How to draw clouds, and survive the Summer: Hilarious art tips with Lucas Piaceski

Eunbi Kang on her career in illustration and visual development, whether art school is necessary, and her advice for young artists

Eunbi Kang on her career in illustration and visual development, whether art school is necessary, and her advice for young artists

How to redesign a logo, with Joli Noelle David

How to redesign a logo, with Joli Noelle David

Connect with Wacom on social media

Go with the flow with  @sinana_grim, switching gears and moving with ease. ⁣☕☁️🎒🥤
Wacom Cintiq Pro in the office and Wacom Movink anywhere else. ⁣
#WacomMovink #CreativeProfessionals #CreativesOnTheGo
90 0
🎬 Take a look behind the creative process of Max Beyond with filmmaker @hazdazzle and VFX artist @victorperez_official!

Haz shares how the Wacom Cintiq Pro helped elevate his creative workflow, pushing the limits of visual storytelling in animation. An inspiring look at where technology meets creativity!

#MaxBeyond #CintiqPro27 #WacomCintiqPro #Animation
1337 7
Time warps when you're working, doesn't it? ⌛😜
Thanks @lplucas for the time saving tips in Clip Studio Paint 🤩
What's the longest you've worked on a single piece? Tell us in the comments.
26821 55
Are you ready for THU 2024? 👏🏻 We are, and it’s a special one! @thu_official.

This year marks the 10th anniversary of THU, and we’re celebrating a decade of creativity, innovation, and unforgettable connections. Join creative professionals from around the world for an inspiring week of connection and collaboration. 🚀

Meet our Wacom Team around the event for insider tips, networking, and creative inspiration. 🙌🏻

📅 Sept 30th - Oct 05th 2024
📌 Location: Troia, Portugal

Let’s make this anniversary one to remember!

#THU2024 #WacomEvents #WacomPartner #THU10Years
134 1
Check out this exclusive video interview 🎙️ by @3dvfcom with members of our talented team and discover the secrets 👀 behind 

#WacomMovink #CreativeProfessionals #CreativesOnTheGo
236 10
🎒 Back to School Sale✏️

Kickstart the new school year with amazing deals on the entire Wacom product range. Don’t miss out on huge savings on our bestsellers—offer ends Sept 30th 2024 🎉

Register today for Wacom’s Education program and save up to 5% additionally* on selected pen tablets and pen displays

*eligible students and teachers can buy with 5% additional discount until 30.10.2024,

*Europe only
‌
#BackToSchool #WacomSale
100 0
How the #WacomMovink helps @figisisters capture ideas wherever they happen. #CreativeProfessionals #CreativesOnTheGo #WacomWorkspace
906 12
#WacomSale 📣⁣
⁣
Head to the Wacom USA estore to save when you buy a Wacom Intuos. The perfect back to school tool for students and teachers alike! ⁣
⁣
Use Wacom Intuos to easily write, edit or convey ideas to students or colleagues when web-conferencing.⁣
⁣
Getting started in digital art? Wacom Intuos is an all-in-one creative solution with 3 downloadable software programs to kick start your journey. ⁣
⁣
Shop through the link in our bio! 🛒⁣
⁣
#Wacom #WacomIntuos #EdTech #BackToSchool #WacomTablet
115 2
Wacom’s CEO, Nobu, shared some exciting thoughts about the future of digital art and how Wacom is here to support every artist’s journey. 🚀

‌Have you joined #WacomYuify yet? It’s a groundbreaking new service designed to protect and secure your authorship while managing the digital rights of your artwork. ✍🏻

Go to the link in bio to learn more and register for free!
‌
#DigitalArtists #Wacom #DigitalArt #Yuify #MiniMic
146 3
New Interview Drop! 🚨

We grabbed our customised pen #MiniMic and interviewed Nobu, Wacom’s CEO to talk about the future of digital art 🎨✨

Get inspired by his insights on innovation, Wacom’s mission, and what’s next for artists! Stay tuned for part 2! 🚀

#WacomAtDokomi #DigitalArtists #Wacom #DigitalArt
236 4